Saturday, April 19, 2014

Seoul Day 2: Seoul Challenge 10k

Daddy's a running addict, and on our holidays, there's usually no running away (pun intended) from running. Here's his experience participating in the Seoul Challenge 10k. Enjoy!

It has been a bumpy training cycle since the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2013, and the niggling injuries finally recovered a couple of months ago. Tuning up for the Boston Marathon, I wanted to gauge my fitness with a tune-up race about a month before. The Seoul Challenge 10k seemed like the right race (click HERE for the official race website). It's organized by the same agency as the Seoul International Marathon and runs the final 10k of the marathon route. The weather was expected to be ideal, which will facilitate one of my long-term goals: to run 10 km under 40 minutes.

Holly's Coffee is a prominent landmark to identify the Dong-A News office building.

The bibs and race tees are picked up from this office on the third floor. There was a little queue today, but the staff attended to us quickly. It was the final day of bib collection and most were here to collect marathon bibs.

Finally got my hands on it. The excitement mounts...

After settling down at our apartment, I left the group to pick up my race bib from the Dong-A News Agency office. I's been here before so it was a quick affair, before heading down to meet the rest at Lotte Mart (click HERE for a report of our food-tasting session there).

The day before the race was anything but ideal. We walked a tad too much, but it was a holiday after all. In addition, it was our first day in Seoul, so what's a first day without all the good Korean food? 

Needless to say, I felt 'very full' on race morning', but I was ready to go. Will a sub-40 happen today? It was cold, definitely less than 10 degrees Celcius, and slightly foggy.

I can see the tents and starting gantry to the left from Ttukseom Resort Station on a cold foggy morning.

I got to Ttukseom Resort Station about an hour and a half before the start. There were many other participants making their way to the staging area, and like me, all of them were layered up due to the low temperatures. It felt nice to be racing again after some time off.

Outside the station was a coffee shop where participants were grabbing breakfast.

There were many traffic personnel, likely to facilitate the full-marathon course.

At the Ttukseom Pleasure Ground, I was pleasantly surprised by the race organization and cheerful volunteers.

There was hardly a queue for the toilets yet, but it would get more crowded later.

Medical Treatment Tent

Panoramic view of the admin tentage areas.

Got someone to get me a photograph with the starting gantry.

Bag drop vehicles. It's amazing the amount of resources devoted to an event like this. The volunteers seemed excited and enthusiastic to be part of it too.

These are large tents for the participants to get out of the cold and change into their running gear.

The warm up felt smooth and easy, and I was sure this was my day. Sure it was cold, but persuaded myself that it could work to my advantage by delaying the fatigue.

After mass warm ups, I placed myself ahead of the corral. A four-minute per kilometre pace was going to be brutal, but I was ready to give it a shot.

After the flag-off, everyone seemed to sprint and I felt left behind. It suddenly hit me that the cold made me stiffer than usual, and I seemed to have difficulty opening my stride. My high-mileage slow-pace training made it difficult for me to adjust to a fast start. I was disheartened to split the first kilometre at 4 minutes 20 seconds. "It's only my first kilometre and I'm 20 seconds behind schedule! Great." I thought to myself. Still, I didn't come here to give anything less than my best, and I made up my mind to claw back the deficit slowly. After all, we were going up Jamsil Bridge and there was a chance I could make it up on the down-slope and flatter parts.

Powering up Jamsil Bridge. (Photo Credits:

We cleared the top of Jamsil Bridge by the fifth kilometre and checking my splits, I was now about 45 seconds off my target. It had been a hard run up the bridge and fatigue was setting in. After the sixth kilometre, I tried my best to push harder on the downhill to make up for lost time.  This seemed to pay off with a few kilometre splits under 4 minutes. However, my lack of speed training was evident as my strides were clumsy and inefficient, and my muscles were starting to ache from all the pounding.

Entering the finishing area at Jamsil Stadium, I checked my watch and knew a sub-40 was going to be close but not guaranteed. I was already breathless but decided that having made it all the way here, there was nothing to lose and gave one final push around the track.

The final push at Jamsil Stadium. (Photo credits:

Approaching the finishing gantry, I caught sight of the time clock and it indicated a time under 39 minutes and 50 seconds. I was still some distance away and gave it everything I had. After I crossed the line, I was just glad it was over, but did I make it under 40 minutes? I forgot to stop my watch and wasn't sure. I guess I'll have to wait for the official results.

Collecting my bag without breaking a sweat in this cold weather.

Panaromic view of the Seoul Olympic Stadium and surroundings. It was like a fair ground!

Getting my picture taken with the Olympic rings.

Marathoners entering the final kilometres of their journey.

A happy camper!

The race route took us from Ttukseom Pleasure Ground, over Jamsil Bridge, and into Jamsil Stadium. (Picture credit:

I eagerly waited for the chip-times to be uploaded that night. It read: "00:40:03" for 17th place. It was a new personal best, but I was disappointed that I had missed out on my goal by a mere three seconds. It'll be a while before I get another shot, but for now, it's time to recover and plan how to move on from here. Still, I'm thankful for the chance to enjoy injury-free running in a well-organised race. I'm grateful to have a family that gives me so much support during the training cycle.

Now it's time to link up with them for the famous traditional Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup we've all been looking forward to (click HERE for a report on the wonderful lunch!)

Next stop: the 118th Boston Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment